Tags : 上海水磨

first_img What an amazing achievement this is.A former Mountrath CS student was awarded for receiving the best Leaving Cert biology results in the country.Katy White received the Gold Medal for her achievement in the National Biology Society in Dublin on Thursday, November 29.Joining Katy on the night were her family, friends and former  biology teacher Dr Mary Kelly.According to Dr Kelly, it is the first time the school has gotten a Gold Medal for a subject.Katy has proven extreme intelligence not just for biology but in a variety of subjects.Indeed she earned an incredible 625 point in her Leaving Cert and is now studying medicine in Trinity College.After studying Biology, Chemistry and Physics, medicine felt like a natural choice for science-loving Katy.Previously speaking to LaoisToday, Katy said: “I was so delighted I couldn’t believe it.“I was happy with the mocks but I thought the actual Leaving Cert was harder, I went out of a few exams and was convinced I had messed up!”We had better watch this space for more things to come from the incredible Katy!SEE ALSO – Fleadh officials to visit Laois this weekend as local bid gathers momentum Council By Siun Lennon – 1st December 2018 Facebook WhatsApp Community Previous articleFr Paddy: Christmas – A Time to HopeNext articleLaois Rector embarks on five day fast for charity Siun Lennonhttp://heresosiun.blogspot.ie/2016/09/the-lekkie-piccie-experience.htmlSiún Lennon joined LaoisToday in a full-time capacity after studying Journalism and New Media in the University of Limerick. She hails from Rosenallis and her interests vary from news, sports and politics. Mountrath student receives best Leaving Cert biology results in the country RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter TAGSKaty White New Arles road opens but disquiet over who was invited to official opening Laois secondary school announces scholarship winners for new academic year Facebook Twitter Home News Community Mountrath student receives best Leaving Cert biology results in the country NewsCommunity Charlie Flanagan on Electric Picnic: ‘I’d ask organisers to consult with community leaders’ Pinterest Pinterest Community WhatsApplast_img read more

first_imgRestructuring efforts at South Korea-based shipbuilding giant Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) are to bring about a new wave of job cuts as the company battles to cut costs and boost its earnings.The shipbuilder’s self-help measures are to include slashing of 10 percent of its workforce, up to 3,000 jobs, Yonhap reports citing industry sources, along with disposing off non-core assets, nearly 100 of its 390 business divisions.Jobs being targeted are said to be both administrative and production positions.Based on the report, a detailed plan on the cuts is expected to be revealed by the company executives next week, whereas the implementation of the restructuring measures is scheduled to start next month.The latest round of cost-cutting measures follows a 42.2 percent fall in new orders at the company for the first quarter of 2016 year-on-year.The company’s shipbuilding business took a big blow with 63.2% lower orderbook reaching USD 234 million. HHI’s offshore and engineering business recorded USD 149 million worth of new orders, a 74.8 % drop year-on-year.The losing streak resumes from last year when HHI was faced with numerous delays in construction of offshore facilities and ships as the industry sector struggled with overcapacity and cost cutting measures.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more

first_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Share BusinessLocalNews DOMLEC gives $43, 000 in donations by: Dominica Vibes News – June 16, 2017 Sharecenter_img Share 149 Views   no discussions The Dominica Electricity Services Company Limited (DOMLEC) gave donations amounting to forty-three thousand EC dollars ($43, 000) on Friday June 16 2017. The recipients were the Education Trust Fund, Trafalgar Football Organizing Committee for the DOMELC/Roseau Valley Football League, Dominica Football Association for the DOMLEC Women’s Football League, Dominica Association of Persons with Disabilities and Crime Stoppers.Acting Manager Lemuel Lavinier revealed that as of the end of May 2017, the company has donated one hundred and forty-seven thousand dollars ($147, 000) to various, groups, organizations and individuals mainly in the areas of health, education, culture, sports and community development.The company did not disclose the financial amount presented to each of the five organizations on Friday.last_img read more

first_imgThe ever-popular Bristol City Robins Foundation half term holiday football camp will return to South Bristol Sports Centre this February.The camp which provides young people between the ages of six-12 the chance to get active and play football in a fun and sociable environment will run throughout the February half term from 10am – 2pm (Monday, February 17th – Friday, February 21st).A limited number of early bird booking discounts will go on sale here at 10am Wednesday, November 20th.For any further information please contact [email protected] or phone the Robins Foundation on 0117 9630636.last_img

first_imgIndia has enough colours, fabrics, culture and history that will inspire any artist or designer, and Angela Missoni is no exception.The creative head of the fashion label that carries her family name has been inspired by the sari and her ambition is “to work on it to make it mainstream in the international market”. “Who would not want to work on it? It is such a gorgeous costume,” Missoni said in Jaipur, where she was one of the key speakers at the 14th annual conference of the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI). Of course, Missoni, who also co-owns the label famous for its colourful knitwear, said she had no plans to establish her familyowned label’s presence in India’s mushrooming high street retail market.Missoni isn’t the first international celebrity to be inspired by the sari. Most recently, Oprah Winfrey sported it in Mumbai en route to the Jaipur Literature Festival and Paris Hilton splashed it on the international fashion pages when she appeared in a pinkish Greciandrape dress, styled like a sari, at the 2011 launch of her Indian collection. It was Jacqueline Kennedy, in fact, who set the ball rolling when she visited India in 1962 and wore a sari.”The reason Missoni is successful is because of our family’s commitment to freedom to work,” Angela said, to explain her plans for the sari. “We encourage new ideas that go beyond borders and break conventional design rules.” Angela began assisting her mother in the conception and creation of the brand’s women’s collections by the time she was 18.When Angela took charge of her family business in the 1990s, most other fashion houses were scouting around for financial partners or offering themselves for corporate takeovers. The Missonis, though, looked at their own resources to keep themselves afloat.Angela’s parents first encouraged her to launch her own label and then to take over as the creative director of the company in 1998.Angela believes India has all it needs to have a successful, global fashion industry, but she wonders why the country has not woken up yet to its potential. “India has the same potential as Italy; it has the best textiles and fabrics, craftsmanship, culture and history to inspire its designers, and therefore, India has great opportunities in the fashion industry,” she said.The Indian market, according to her, is good for selling branded accessories and men’s wear, and she expressed the hope that it would become bigger for international fashion labels. “I believe the Indian market sees a lot of branded accessories being sold, but it is yet to open up to clothes in a big way,” the designer said.Missoni is excited about working with young designers. “I hope to inspire them to create their own niche, but I advise them not to follow anyone and pursue their own ideas,” she said.Sari allureAngela Missoni is not the first international fashion celebrity to be drawn by India’s national garment. Other top designers and the entertainment A- list have also succumbed to its charms. Some examples: Oprah Winfrey, Elizabeth Hurley, Lady Gaga, Paris Hilton, Cameron Diaz, Katy Perry, Angelina Jolie, Naomi Campbell and Victoria Beckham have all worn saris in the recent pastFrench luxury brand Hermes launched a limited- edition sari range in India in 2011 to tap the market here. Inspired by their signature printed silk scarves, Hermes produced 28 saris priced approximately at Rs. 400,000 eachChanel’s 2011 couture show included a line of sari gownsValentino designed a sari dress for Jacqueline Kennedy in the 1950s. Kennedy, who was India in 1962, is reported to have bought two saris during her visitadvertisementlast_img read more

first_imgMan City defence will blow title – Neville, Carragherby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe centre-back pairing of Nicolas Otamendi and John Stones will cost Manchester City the Premier League title, according to Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher.With Vincent Kompany gone and Aymeric Laporte out for six months, Pep Guardiola was forced to play Otamendi and Stones together against Norwich City on Saturday.The match ended in a 3-2 loss for City, who are now five points behind league leaders Liverpool.”He (Otamendi) dives in, he has done it all his career,” Carragher told Sky Sports Monday Night Football”He will never change and that’s why he’s not good enough to play for Manchester City. I have never believed it from day one and nothing I have seen in the last four or five years has changed my mind.”John Stones, in some ways, over the next three or four months, is almost fighting for his Manchester City career in that, if it doesn’t go well for him they are going to buy someone.”At this moment, I don’t think Guardiola wants to put those two on the pitch together but he has got no option because he has not gone big in the summer.”Neville added that Guardiola’s inability to bring a replacement in until at least January could cost City over the whole season.”Guardiola gave up on this partnership 18 months ago when Laporte came to the club,” Neville said.”Otamendi always gets caught out as a centre-back and quickens up the opposition in attack. He’s so not a Pep Guardiola type centre-back, they’re usually composed but he’s rash.”Sir Alex Ferguson at times during his Manchester United career would see a game too far with players and say, ‘That’s it, you’re done’. Manchester City’s 4-3 defeat at Liverpool in 2018 was the game when Guardiola decided that Stones and Otamendi couldn’t play together.”Laporte’s injury, Kompany leaving and not replacing him is a big problem for Manchester City. Stones and Otamendi have played 25 games under Guardiola in the Premier League.”They’ve conceded more goals than any other partnership, conceded more goals per game, the clean sheets are down, the three-plus goals conceded is well up and then there’s the big one, lower win percentage.”That will cost Manchester City the Premier League title. If these two play together at their current rate of performance they won’t win the league.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

first_imgNEW DELHI: Former Union Minister Ajay Maken on Saturday accused the BJP government of doing injustice to government employees, saying that the Modi government gave the worst recommendations in the seventh pay commission.Addressing a press conference here, he said: “The BJP has been known for its anti-government employee stand.” Maken also assured that if voted to power, the Congress will become the voice of the government employees and will fill the 22 lakh vacant posts and also regularise the jobs of the contractual workers. Also Read – CM urges Delhiites to help accident victims”In 2003, when the NDA was in power, they did not permit to form the committee for the sixth pay commission. And after coming to power in 2014, they gave the worst seventh pay commission recommendations,” he said. Maken, who is contesting from the New Delhi Lok Sabha seat against Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) Meenakshi Lekhi, said there are about 35 per cent government employees in his parliamentary constituency and so he is raising the issue. Also Read – Kejriwal seeks Transport Dept’s views on odd-even exemption”In our times the government employees got about 40 per cent increment, while in the seventh pay commission recommendation the BJP government gave only 14.29 per cent increment,” he said, adding that the government also reduced several allowances to government officials. “Due to the seventh pay commission recommendations, the pay parity between the lower posts and the higher posts has increased significantly,” he added. The government has also accepted the recommendations of the seventh pay commission that there would be no eighth pay commission, Maken said. Maken alleged that 7 MPs from BJP did not care about the welfare of government employees & never raised the issue of government employees in the Parliament or outside through protests. The government employees were waiting to teach Delhi BJP MPs a lesson and vote them out. He said in contrast Congress leaders were active in raising the issue of government employees both inside & outside the Parliament. He further stated that Congress has a proven track record of taking care of the welfare of government employees.last_img read more

first_imgWashington: The US has welcomed the release of two Reuters journalists in Myanmar after they were pardoned by the country’s civilian government, amidst international pressure. Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo walked free Tuesday from Yangon’s Insein jail after spending over 500 days in prison. They were jailed under Myanmar’s Official Secrets Act for reporting on a massacre of Rohingya civilians. The two men were released as part of an amnesty of 6,520 prisoners by the country’s President Win Myint. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: Report”Jailed for over 500 days since December 2017 for reporting on atrocities against the Rohingya, we are delighted they will be reunited with their families, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Tuesday. The two journalists from the London-based news agency won international acclaim for their reporting on the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar. The men led an explosive Reuters investigation — which eventually won a Pulitzer Prize — into the killing of 10 Rohingya men in the village of Inn Dinn, part of a military-led campaign against the Muslim minority which began in August 2017 after Rohingya militants attacked police posts. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsMore than 720,000 Rohingya are estimated to have been forced to flee into Bangladesh as a result of the ensuing violence. Their December 2017 arrests made them an international cause celebre and a sign of Myanmar’s deteriorating press freedoms under Nobel laureate and civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi. Sanders hoped other jailed journalists in Myanmar would also be freed. “A free press, freedom of religion, and the rule of law are fundamental principles for any democracy. The United States will continue promoting a stable, prosperous, and democratic transition in Burma,” Sanders said. Welcoming their release Senator Marco Rubio said the two journalists were unjustly jailed for their work — reporting the alleged atrocities against the Rohingya. “Their cases serve as a reminder of the critical role a free press plays in bringing accountability and transparency to governments, and we must do all we can to protect and advance those principles,” Rubio said. Non-profit Reporters Without Borders (RSF) also welcomed the release of the two journalists. “As well as the release of two individuals who should never have been in prison Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo this is a fundamental victory for press freedom and for the RSF, which had campaigned constantly since their arrest,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk.last_img read more